In Mexico, the electricity production given by renewable energy is around 31%, where 4.3% comes from solar energy according to the Energy Secretariat (2020). Mexico’s government objective for 2050 is to generate 50% of the electricity from renewable energy.
The main objective of this project is to locate with data science the best solar energy spots with public spatial demographic data and satellite images.
The project results will be made open source. The deliverables of the projects will be useful for further research and decision-making for private companies, public institutions, and policymakers like SENER, ANES, ASOLMEX, Solar Power Europe, Tesla, GIZ, etc.
- Comparison of nighttime satellite imagery against the geographic location of the population.
- Grid coverage analysis and machine-learning-driven heatmaps to identify sites that are most suitable for solar panel installation.
- An interactive map with a list of the top Mexico regions with a high demand for electricity.
1. Extract satellite images.
2. Analyze spatial demographic data.
3. Create heat maps that interpret insights of solar energy spots.
4. Create an interactive map with satellite images.