Millions of people are forced to leave their current area of residence or community due to resource scarcity and natural disasters such as droughts, floods, famine, and epidemics, which may influence the environment and exacerbate climate change (e.g. via deforestation to build new settlements, or crop destruction and fires). Our challenge partner, UNHCR, provides assistance and protection for those who are forcibly displaced, in this case internally displaced people (IDPs) inside Somalia.
View this post on Instagram
Boost your AI skills with our latest #AIchallenge. If you are interested in solving social problems and making the world a better place, apply and work for social good with us and the @unhcrsomali Refugee Agency, with the goal of predicting forced displacement and violent conflict as a result of climate change in Somalia. . #AIforGood #AI #ArtificialIntelligence #machinelearning #refugees #somalia #unitednations #collaborativeai #impact #satelliteimagery #climatechange #globalwarming
The challenge goal
The challenge goal is to create a solution that quantifies the influence of climate anomalies on forced displacement and/or violent conflict through satellite imagery analysis. The challenge will involve the following tasks:
• Automate labeling of annotated satellite images of drought/flood conditions (e.g. NDVI)
• Use annotated satellite images to build a model(s) to predict displacement/conflict
• Use displacement/conflict to build a model(s) to predict climate/environmental changes
• Satellite imagery: Landsat (EarthExplorer) and MODIS satellite imagery
Vegetation indexes (e.g.NDVI), Livestock, Hydrology, Settlement/shelters, Radar (e.g. detection of metal, trucks, tanks)
• UNHCR-NRC forced displacement data
• Conflict data: only violent conflict and fatalities
• FSNAU Early Warning-Early Action Dashboard
Apply and be one of 35 collaborators and world-leading mentors to make a real-world impact.
UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization represented in 134 countries dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for refugees, forcibly displaced communities, and stateless people.